Property Law Department
Specialist in complex, high value and large-scale property transactions
- Completing complex and time-pressured conveyancing transactions
- Buying and selling high value residential property
- Buying, selling, managing and letting commercial properties and property portfolios
- Disposing of properties and property portfolios, including multiple sales at auction
- Commercial tenant new leases, lease sales, renewals, variations, extensions and exercising break clauses
- Granting of consent for lease assignment, alterations and subletting
- Advising clients on all aspects of buying, selling, managing and renting property
- Assisting developers, from site acquisition through development to sale
- Drafting and negotiating planning agreements, infrastructure agreements and easements
- Liaising with funders
- Setting up documentation and sales packs for plot sales
John helps people to buy, sell, manage, lease and develop commercial and residential property.
John takes pride in offering his clients a bespoke, prompt, expert service. Known for his attention to detail, John works closely with his clients and their agents to ensure he has a thorough understanding of their wishes, taking the time needed to explain the complexities of a transaction and any quirks associated with the property.
His detailed, pragmatic and collaborative approach to conveyancing mean he will often work with colleagues in other departments to ensure every element has been considered and covered. It is this, and John’s dogged determination to ensure he gets the best result for his clients, that ensure so many return regularly for their property transactions.
Qualifying in the late 1980s in a leading London firm, John gained invaluable experience in residential and commercial property law, and an insight into divorce and litigation law. John later specialised in property, preferring to work collaboratively with clients and fellow lawyers to achieve a common goal. On joining Horsey Lightly in 1995, John focused his expertise further, concentrating on commercial and high value residential property transactions.
Life beyond the office
When not working, John has a passion for travel, cookery, racquet sports, walking, gardening and photography. But most of these have taken a back seat since the arrival of his daughter in 2016. He is now more engaged with Peppa Pig, Postman Pat and Thomas the Tank Engine than his former interests!